Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
Norwegian holiday bread. My brother went to Norway for a AFS and brought back a recipe for Julekake, which our mother incoporated into the family holiday tradition. We don't have the original recipe, though, so he's translated two from a cookbook of the era. Translated by my brother from Kokebok; Statens Lærerskole I Husstell, Stabekk ;J.W. Cappelens Forlag, Oslo 1966.
- Use the sponge method incorporating all the liquid ingredients and 2 Tbs of the margarine.
- Let it ferment well.
- Add the remainder of materials and knead in well.
- Julekake dough that will be baked on a sheet needs to be firm so it doesn’t spread out while baking.
- Add the raisins and peel last and knead well in so they are distributed through the loaf.
- The loaves should be allowed to rise slowly in a relatively cold room.
- The loaves should be kept at a modest size to allow them to be light but fine pored.
- Brush the loaves with egg yoke diluted out with some water.
- Bake at 200 C for 40-50 minutes.