Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the most TENDER, JUICIEST pork roast I've ever tasted. It doesn't get any better than this! (The cabbage is removed at the end and can be eaten or discarded. It just protects the roast and makes it VERY tender!But you can chop it and even eat that too!)
- 1 (3 lb) boneless pork loin roast
- 1 large head of cabbage
- 1 bunch green onions or 1 bunch use string
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chicken bouillon
- Remove 6-8 outer leaves of cabbage.
- Cut thick rib out of the center of the leaf, just the thick part only, cutting in no farther than 1/4-1/3 of the leaf.
- Cut off root ends of green onions, (you'll need a small bunch), separate leaves.
- In dutch oven or pot, bring 3 qts. water to a boil. Cook cabbage leaves in boiling water for 3-5 minutes til pliable.
- With tongs, remove cabbage leaves to colander.
- Add green onions to boiling water and blanch 10 seconds til just wilted.
- Drain and pat dry with paper towel.
- Preheat oven to 350º. Trim all fat from roast.
- In very small bowl, mix thyme, pepper and 1 teaspoons salt. Rub roast with thyme mixture.
- Wrap roast in wilted cabbage leaves.
- Tie leaves with green onions. If you have trouble with this, you can always use string. (You kinda have to tie 2 green onions together to be long enough.).
- Place roast in roasting pan, add 2 cups chicken bouillon.
- Roast 1 hour, basting 2-3 times with bouillon juices.
- Remove and let set at least 10 minutes. Remove cabbage and green onions. Discard or coarsely chop and serve with roast.
- Slice, and serve with strained pan juices.
A very nice loin roast! I couldn't for the life of me get the green onions to cooperate though so used string intstead.
This made a very juicy tender roast.Will make again.