Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Juicy, tasty roast beef.
- 3 -3 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef rump roast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 slices garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Roast needs to start at room temperature (leave out two hours prior to cooking).
- With a sharp knife make 8 small incisions around the roast.
- Place a sliver of garlic in each one.
- Take a tablespoon of olive oil and rub all over roast.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on roast.
- Place roast on oven rack fat side up, with a drip pan on a rack beneath the roasting rack.
- Brown roast for half an hour at 375°F.
- Lower heat to 225°F and cook for an additional 2 to 3 hours.
- When the roast starts to drip juices and it is brown on the outside check the temp with meat thermometer.
- Pull the roast out of oven when the inner temperature reaches between 135 and 140°F.
- Let roast sit for 15 minutes before carving.
- FOR GRAVY.
- Remove pan from oven and place on stove top at a medium heat.
- Add water and red wine or beef stock to pan.
- Loosen drippings from pan.
- Dissolve a tablespoon of cornstarch in a little water and add to pan.
- Stir quickly to thicken gravy and reduce lumping.
- You can add a little butter if there wasn't much fat from roast.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Simple & delicious! Used a top round roast with great results. Will certainly be using this excellent recipe again and again.