Prep 2 hrs 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Lamb makes a wonderful burger. The natural flavors of the meat are complimented in this version by the spices, giving this a middle eastern feel. I like to serve these with Feta Spread (see recipe 461721), but if you don't want to make the spread, top your burger with crumbled feta and whatever of the options below float your boat! I've written this to make 4 oz burgers, if you like yours larger, scale the recipe up to suit your appetite. Adapted from "Emeril at the Grill".
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 hamburger buns
- lettuce leaf (for garnish)
- sliced tomatoes (for garnish)
- sliced roasted red pepper (for garnish)
- Combine lamb, shallot, garlic, salt, cumin, allspice, cayenne, and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly to combine the seasonings and the meat.
- Form the meat mix into 4 patties about 1/2 inch thick. Cover the patties with plastic wrap, and chill for at least two hours. This will allow the spices to completely season the meat.
- Prepare a grill to medium high heat. Brush both sides of the burgers with the oil, to keep them from sticking to the grill.
- Grill the patties for about 4 minutes on each side for medium doneness (or adjust to your preferred temp). Remove from heat, and cover to keep warm while you toast the buns.
- Place the buns, cut side down, on the grill for 1 to 2 minutes to toast.
- Place the burgers on the toasted buns, and garnish as desired. serve immediately.
Wow, are these ever good! The spices are perfect-nothing overpowers. Served with sweet onion and tomato on one of those sandwich thins. Thanks for this keeper! Made for ZWT8.
Very nice blend of flavors ~ I added about 1 ounce crumbled feta, a few chopped Kalamata olives, then made the mixture into 8 slider-sized patties. I served them with Tzatzikii sauce and sliced tomatoes . Made for Summer Photo Tag 2012.
Delicious burgers which are a bit different from the usual. Thanks for sharing!