Recipe by Rita~
Don't close up the grill yet! Juicy Autumn Chicken with flavors of apples, pumpkin and spices. This recipe has choices of wings, legs or breasts. An American dish with hints of Indian cuisine. Would be great with pork or salmon. Prep the chicken sauce and glaze the day before so cooking the chicken before dinner is quick and easy.
- 12 ounces harvest pumpkin ale (Harvest Moon)
- 1⁄2 cup honey or 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or 2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mango powder (optional) or 1⁄2 teaspoon amchur (optional)
- 1 small onion, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup sriracha sauce
- 4 chicken legs-thighs (breasts scored) or 4 boneless chicken breasts (breasts scored) or 2 -3 lbs chicken wings
Autumn Pumpkin Sauce
- 14 ounces pumpkin puree
- 3⁄4 cup apple cider
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 pinch chili pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon apple liqueur (Korn)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together.
- Pour half of the marinade over the chicken. Place the chicken in the refrigerator overnight turning often to ensure all sides get coated and penetrates the meat.
- Heat the other half of the marinade and reduce to 1 cup. If more heat is desired add 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce. To be used to glaze the chicken. Can be prepped the day.
- Remove from marinade and let drip away removing excess marinade.
- Whisk together pumpkin puree, apple juice, sugar, cloves, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom and optional pepper flakes in a saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the mixture has reached the consistency of applesauce. About 30-60 minutes. Depending if you use fresh or canned pumpkin. Add liquor off the fire stir, cover and set aside. Can be prepared the day before good chilled or warm.
- Heat grill and oil grates.
- Grill chicken legs until well browned on all sides, turning once, 30 to 40 minutes. Glaze the chicken the last 5 minutes with the reduced marinade.
- Test:.meat near thigh bones should no longer be pink when tested with the tip of a knife.
- Boneless chicken breasts will cook quicker so turn after 5-7 minutes glazes the flip after 5-7 minutes and glaze.
- Wings over medium flame. You don't want too high of a temperature. You will also need to turn the wings frequently to avoid burning. It will mean standing by the grill, but you can cook a lot of chicken wings in about 15 to 20 minutes. Just before removing brush glaze over wings.
- Serve with warmed Autumn Pumpkin Sauce for dipping.
- All grills are different temperatures.
- Take advantage of indirect heat!
- If the chicken browns quickly finish over Brown over direct then move to indirect heat.indirect heat.
- All grills have hot spots so watch and be sure to move the chicken to spots on the grill so not to burn and completely cook the chicken.
- As the time of the year makes grilling quicker or slower. So take care and watch and enjoy you food as it grills.
- Be sure to Visit the grilling forum http://www.food.com/bb/viewforum.zsp?f=42 for any help!