1 hr 30 mins
I haven't tried this pie yet, but a friend of mine gave me the recipe and it sounds simply delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/3 cup ice water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chilled stick margarine or 1/4 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 2Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups. Level with a knife.
- 3Combine 1/3 cup flour and ice water, stirring with a whisk until well blended.
- 4Combine 1 2/3 cup flour and salt in a bowl; cut in margarine and shortening with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture looks like a course meal.
- 5Add ice water mixture; toss with fork until moist.
- 6Divide dough in half. Gently press each half into a 4" circle on heavy duty plastic wrap and cover with additional plastic wrap.
- 7Roll one half of dough, still covered, into 12" circle and chill.
- 8Roll other half of dough, still covered, into 11" circle and chill.
- 10Bring cider to a boil in a large heavy sauce pan over high heat. Cook until reduced to 1/2 cup (about 20 minutes). Cool completely.
- 11Preheat oven to 450°F
- 12Combine cooled cider, 1/3 cup sugar, corn starch, lemon juice, vanilla and pie spice in a large bowl. Stir apple slices into cider mixture.
- 13Remove one sheet of plastic wrap from the 12" circle; fit dough into a 9" pie plate coated with cooking spray, allowing dough to extend over edge of plate.
- 14Remove top sheet of plastic wrap.
- 15Spoon apple mixture into crust, and brush edges of crust lightly with water.
- 16Remove one sheet of plastic wrap from the 11" circle, and place on top of apple mixture.
- 17Remove top sheet of plastic wrap.
- 18Press edges of dough together; fold edges under and flute.
- 19Cut 6 (1") slits into top of pastry using a sharp knife.
- 20Combine egg and 1 tablespoon of water. Brush top edges of pie with egg mixture and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- 21Place pie on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F (Do not remove pie.) Bake additional 45 minutes or until golden.
- 22Cool on a wire rack.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Juicy Apple Cider Pie
Serving Size: 1 (240 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 347.6
- Calories from Fat 119
- Total Fat 13.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 26.4 mg
- Sodium 223.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 22.8 g
- Protein 4.4 g