Recipe by Juenessa
From Southern Living March 2007 test kitchen's top rated recipes.
Top Review by barefootmommawv
I really liked the flavor of this. I prepared this alittle different though. I did this up as a dump recipe for the crock pot. I followed directions up to no. 4. Froze in zip lock bag. Thawed over night in fridge. Dumped all contents into crock pot. Turned on low for approx 6-8 hours. This was very tender and flavorful. Deserves more than 5 stars. Great for OAMC menus. I adopted this from the freeze it tag.
- 473.18 ml orange juice
- 118.29 ml firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 59.14 ml loosely packed fresh oregano leaves
- 59.14 ml loosely packed fresh sage leaf
- 14.79 ml salt
- 14.79 ml garlic powder
- 14.79 ml paprika
- 7.39 ml onion powder
- 4.92 ml ground dried chipotle powder
- 2267.96-2721.55 g boneless pork shoulder (Boston butt)
Directions See How It's Made
- Process orange juice and next 8 ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- Pierce roast with a sharp knife at 2-inch intervals.
- Place roast in a large zip-top plastic freezer bag; pour orange juice mixture over roast, turning to coat.
- Seal and chill at least 4 hours or up to 8 hours, turning occasionally.
- Remove roast from marinade, reserving marinade.
- Place roast on a wire rack in an aluminum foil-lined roasting pan.
- Bake at 450° for 30 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300°, and bake 4 more hours or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion of roast registers 150°, basting with reserved marinade every 30 minutes during first 3 hours of baking time.
- Let roast stand 10 minutes before slicing.
- ***Cook time does not include 4-8 hours of marinating time.