Cook4 hrs 30 mins
From Southern Living March 2007 test kitchen's top rated recipes.
Make and share this Juiced-Up Roast Pork recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup loosely packed fresh oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 cup loosely packed fresh sage leaf
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground dried chipotle powder
- 5 -6 lbs boneless pork shoulder (Boston butt)
- Process orange juice and next 8 ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- Pierce roast with a sharp knife at 2-inch intervals.
- Place roast in a large zip-top plastic freezer bag; pour orange juice mixture over roast, turning to coat.
- Seal and chill at least 4 hours or up to 8 hours, turning occasionally.
- Remove roast from marinade, reserving marinade.
- Place roast on a wire rack in an aluminum foil-lined roasting pan.
- Bake at 450° for 30 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300°, and bake 4 more hours or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion of roast registers 150°, basting with reserved marinade every 30 minutes during first 3 hours of baking time.
- Let roast stand 10 minutes before slicing.
- ***Cook time does not include 4-8 hours of marinating time.
I really liked the flavor of this. I prepared this alittle different though. I did this up as a dump recipe for the crock pot. I followed directions up to no. 4. Froze in zip lock bag. Thawed over night in fridge. Dumped all contents into crock pot. Turned on low for approx 6-8 hours. This was very tender and flavorful. Deserves more than 5 stars. Great for OAMC menus. I adopted this from the freeze it tag.
I hate just having 5 stars!!! This needs 10!!!!!!! Very spicy and flavorful. I used pork tenderloins and grilled them after marinading. I boiled the marinade down until it thickened, and served with meat. I am going to use the leftover reduced marinade as a condiment on a turkey burger later this week! Marinade would be good on poultry also! Thanks, Juenessa, for posting this!