Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 45 mins
This is another one I have no idea of it's orgin. I'm sure I remember making new copies of it by hand on 3x5 cards over the years. The JUG it's cooked in can be Corning ware, a cast iron dutch oven, or a pyrex glass casserole, any of these work fine. However it's better dished out of a stoneware jug, you know the one I mean, the classic baked bean jug, creamy tan from the base to the shoulder and earthy brown from there up. Presentation is an important consideration. It just tastes better served from a stoneware jug.
- 3 lbs chuck roast, trimmed of fat, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄4 lb salt pork, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium yellow onions, cut into eighth's
- 1 lb mushroom (DON'T USE BUTTON MUSHROOMS ALL OF THE TIME TRY OTHERS, PLAY WITH IT A BIT.)
- 1 lb baby carrots, cut in half crosswise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme, run these three herbs through the spice mill
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 0.5 (15 ounce) can cranberry sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Mix Salt, Black Pepper, and flour in a Plastic bag.
- Place 1/4 of the Beef at a time into the bag , shake well to coat.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add Salt Pork, render well.
- Add Beef, one quarter at a time, saute 'til brown. Set aside. Repeat 'til all meat is browned.
- Drain pan and wipe clean.
- Reheat pan over medium high heat, add oil.
- Add Onions and Mushrooms, saute 'til onions start to brown, 10-12 minutes.
- Add Carrots and the herbs, cook 3 minutes longer.
- Spoon Vegetables into the jug.
- Reheat pan, add the beef, wine, sherry, and Cranberry Sauce. Bring to a boil.
- Spoon into the jug.
- Bake, covered, 2 - 2 1/2 hours.
- Add Parsley, mix well.
- Serve with boiled Baby Red potatoes or over cooked Basmati Rice or noodles.
- Add a fresh baked peasent loaf and a nice Merlot.