3 hrs 5 mins
2 hrs 45 mins
Pierre Dance's Note:
This is another one I have no idea of it's orgin. I'm sure I remember making new copies of it by hand on 3x5 cards over the years. The JUG it's cooked in can be Corning ware, a cast iron dutch oven, or a pyrex glass casserole, any of these work fine. However it's better dished out of a stoneware jug, you know the one I mean, the classic baked bean jug, creamy tan from the base to the shoulder and earthy brown from there up. Presentation is an important consideration. It just tastes better served from a stoneware jug.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs chuck roast, trimmed of fat, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 lb salt pork, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium yellow onions, cut into eighth's
- 1 lb mushroom (DON'T USE BUTTON MUSHROOMS ALL OF THE TIME TRY OTHERS, PLAY WITH IT A BIT.)
- 1 lb baby carrots, cut in half crosswise
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme, run these three herbs through the spice mill
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 0.5 (15 ounce) can cranberry sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 300°F.
- 2Mix Salt, Black Pepper, and flour in a Plastic bag.
- 3Place 1/4 of the Beef at a time into the bag , shake well to coat.
- 4Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- 5Add Salt Pork, render well.
- 6Add Beef, one quarter at a time, saute 'til brown. Set aside. Repeat 'til all meat is browned.
- 7Drain pan and wipe clean.
- 8Reheat pan over medium high heat, add oil.
- 9Add Onions and Mushrooms, saute 'til onions start to brown, 10-12 minutes.
- 10Add Carrots and the herbs, cook 3 minutes longer.
- 11Spoon Vegetables into the jug.
- 12Reheat pan, add the beef, wine, sherry, and Cranberry Sauce. Bring to a boil.
- 13Spoon into the jug.
- 14Bake, covered, 2 - 2 1/2 hours.
- 15Add Parsley, mix well.
- 16Serve with boiled Baby Red potatoes or over cooked Basmati Rice or noodles.
- 17Add a fresh baked peasent loaf and a nice Merlot.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jugged Beef
Serving Size: 1 (347 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 772.6
- Calories from Fat 436
- Total Fat 48.5 g
- Saturated Fat 18.1 g
- Cholesterol 129.5 mg
- Sodium 510.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 16.8 g
- Protein 35.3 g