Recipe by Bert's Kitchen Witch
This recipe is one from my friend Judith, who is a vegetarian. It's very tasty, and even carnivores won't miss the meat.
Top Review by Dreamer in Ontario
I really enjoyed this soup. I couldn't find mexican tomatoes so used salsa instead. That probably made the soup a bit more spicy than intended. I also only had 1 can of black beans so I used it and 1 can of kidney beans. Delicious
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup celery (chopped)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans
- 2 (15 ounce) cans Mexican-style tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in a skillet.
- Add onion, bell peppers, celery,and garlic.
- Sauté until tender (about 5-6 minutes).
- Drain and rinse black beans.
- Combine sautéed vegetables, water, undrained tomatoes and black beans in a large sauce pan.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, coriander and cumin.
- Simmer over a medium-low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place 1/2 of the pan contents into a blender and purée.
- Return to sauce pan with remaining bean mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally, until hot (5 minutes).
- Ladle into serving bowls and top each bowl with one TBS sour cream.