Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
this recipe came from soupsong.com. i found it a few years ago and i have been making it ever since. it is great on cold winter night or a busy work day. Enjoy.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth or 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can green beans (undrained)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can corn (undrained)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can mixed vegetables (undrained)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beans (undrained, whatever is in the pantry that day)
- 1⁄4 cup rice
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- dried basil, to taste
- dried thyme, to taste
- Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil.
- Add the rest of the ingredients while seasoning to taste with the basil and the thyme.
- Bring to a quick boil, and then cover the soup and reduce the heat to let it simmer for a good 20 minutes to let the rice fully cook.
- for the beans, kidney beans works very nicely, but whatever your preference is will work.
- it goes really well with some crusty bread or buttered cornbread.
We enjoyed the ease of this recipe. It's very quick to throw together. I used pinto beans for the beans and everything else as posted. Thanks for posting! Made for PAC Fall 2008.