Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
The cardamom and cocoa really gives this chili a wonderful, hidden flavor. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 2 medium onions)
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (4 ounce) can whole green chilies, drained and chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 -3 tablespoons dried cilantro
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon hershey cocoa powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, more if you like heat
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ground pepper, to taste
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- monterey jack cheese, for top (optional)
- Saute onion, garlic, and chiles; add ground beef and continue cooking over medium heat until beef is cooked.
- Drain off fat.
- Add remaining ingredients except pinto beans and Monterey Jack Cheese.
- Heat to boiling and reduce heat to slow simmer.
- Cover and simmer (stirring occasionally) 45 minutes, stir in beans and continue to simmer until beans are heated.
- Place in bowls and sprinkle Monterey Jack cheese on top.
- We serve with crusty bread rolls.
We loved this Chili! I loved all the spices and the cocoa paired so well with them. I will definitely make this recipe again. Thanks Judy~ Jude for a recipe I will gladly make again and again. In loving memory.... Cheryl
Delicious,we really enjoyed it. RIP
Perfect! I followed the recipe as written. My family found the seasoning to be just right. Thank you for sharing this tasty recipe.