Recipe by Gingerbee
My Norwegian friend made this for a ladies luncheon and I nearly died! It was absolutely wonderful and nothing like I'd ever had before. She drizzled warm raspberry syrup on top, along with a light crunchy wafer cone to contrast the creamy cloud-like consistancy of this traditional rice dessert. I'm sure you'll agree after you try it! It's truly delicious.
Top Review by Sharlene~W
This dessert had a wonderful texture. It is like rice pudding without the egg with whipped cream folded in. I added an another 3 tablespoons of sugar when I whipped the cream because the rice wasn't nearly sweet enough. I served it with raspberry syrup drizzled over the top and sliced almonds sprinkled over.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 4 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped almonds (optional)
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- In a double boiler, heat butter, water and rice to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 12 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
- Stir into the rice, the milk, salt, sugar and cinnamon stick.
- Heat to boiling the reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove from heat; Remove cinnamon stick and add almonds.
- Cool and let rest.
- Chill at least 2 hrs. at room temperature; covered with plastic wrap (not to form skin) before folding in whipping cream; otherwise the cream will deflate and you'll have soup!
- Whip cream with vanilla and fold into cooled rice mixture.
- Keep cold before serving.
- Serve with warm raspberry syrup on top.