Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
This is a really good dessert that my "altar guild" buddy always brings to parish functions. It's very light after a kind of heavy meal and really easy to make!
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 (4 ounce) package instant lemon pudding
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold milk
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup unsifted powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 container Cool Whip, divided
- PREPARE CRUST: In a 9 x 13 inch oven-proof dish mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter or margarine.
- Press mixture firmly into dish to make a crust.
- Place graham cracker crust in a 300 degree oven for 8 minutes or until slightly brown.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- PREPARE 1ST LAYER: Mix softened cream cheese and powdered sugar with a mixer until smooth and thoroughly blended.
- Add lemon extract and mix well.
- Fold in 1/2 cup of the Cool Whip topping.
- PREPARE 2ND LAYER: Mix the package of lemon pudding with 1 1/2 cups of cold milk with a mixer or whisk.
- Add fresh lemon juice.
- Blend all until mixture begins to thicken.
- ASSEMBLE: Spread cream cheese filling (1st layer) over cooled graham cracker crust.
- Be careful not to disrupt the crust too much.
- Pour lemon filling (2nd layer) over the cream cheese filling, covering the entire thing.
- Finish the dessert by spreading the Cool Whip topping over both layers.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.