Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Mom's fried chicken recipe
- 1 lb whole chicken, cut up
- 1⁄8 cup salt
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups oil
- 4 tablespoons Crisco
- Soak chicken in salt water for 1 hour or overnight. Drain & rinse chicken.
- Take a baggie and put corn meal in it, mix in a little flour, and shake it up together.
- Pour oil in skillet, about 1/3 to 1/2 full and turn it on medium-high. Add a little Crisco to the skillet.
- Shake chicken in the corn meal mixture and then put it in the skillet. Keep turning the chicken until brown, adding oil as needed. When chicken is brown, put the lid on (and turn heat to MEDIUM-LOW!) then cook turning every 15 minutes or so.
- Take lid off the last 15 minutes.
- This recipe should take approximately 1 hour to cook.