Recipe by DeSouter
Mmm..mmm..mmm..mmm..mmm. This is GOOD stuff. Relatively easy to make and very well worth the effort.
Top Review by Alison J.
Very simple, and so chock full of veggies! I could only find frozen okra, so I added it after the soup had already been simmering for 30 minutes. I also added a cup of Minute Rice at the same time, since I'd forgotten the regular long-grain rice earlier. I used 1/2 tsp of Cajun spice and 1/2 tsp of black pepper, along with some salt, but I will definitely use more seasoning next time I make this soup - I like a bit of kick in my gumbo! Thanks for posting!
- 2 whole boneless chicken breasts (cut into 1/2" strips)
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 6 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup corn kernel, preferably cut from the cob
- 1 1⁄2 cups okra, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup uncooked rice
- 5 cups water
Seasonings to taste based on how spiced/spicy you like your gumbo
- hot pepper sauce
- black pepper
- cajun spices
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, fry the bacon.
- Remove the bacon and set aside.
- Add the oil to the bacon drippings that are in the pot.
- Dredge the chicken in flour and brown them in the pot.
- This may have to be done in several batches.
- Pour the chicken broth over browned chicken and boil.
- Add all remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Taste and season before serving.
- You may add the bacon to the soup, if desired-- I do and it's great.