Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Mmm..mmm..mmm..mmm..mmm. This is GOOD stuff. Relatively easy to make and very well worth the effort.
- 2 whole boneless chicken breasts (cut into 1/2" strips)
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 6 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup corn kernel, preferably cut from the cob
- 1 1⁄2 cups okra, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup uncooked rice
- 5 cups water
Seasonings to taste based on how spiced/spicy you like your gumbo
- hot pepper sauce
- black pepper
- cajun spices
- In a large pot, fry the bacon.
- Remove the bacon and set aside.
- Add the oil to the bacon drippings that are in the pot.
- Dredge the chicken in flour and brown them in the pot.
- This may have to be done in several batches.
- Pour the chicken broth over browned chicken and boil.
- Add all remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Taste and season before serving.
- You may add the bacon to the soup, if desired-- I do and it's great.
Very simple, and so chock full of veggies! I could only find frozen okra, so I added it after the soup had already been simmering for 30 minutes. I also added a cup of Minute Rice at the same time, since I'd forgotten the regular long-grain rice earlier. I used 1/2 tsp of Cajun spice and 1/2 tsp of black pepper, along with some salt, but I will definitely use more seasoning next time I make this soup - I like a bit of kick in my gumbo! Thanks for posting!
Good soup and easy to make! I cooked it for the length of time the chief suggested but I think it could cook longer without any harm but maybe even for the better. In fact, I think this soup may even be better heated up the second day and leftovers will be great! Although I only added a bit of pepper to our gumbo, next time I will be added sme hot pepper sauce and/or cajun spices and a bit of garlic for more of a kick of flavor. Thanks for sharing!