Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
I invented this cocktail for people who generally do not drink alcoholic beverages, except on special occasions. It offers a bright, pleasant, and fruity (orange) flavor but without the alcohol "bite." But, my friends, the G-forces are certainly hiding out in there, so BEWARE! Three of these and you'll get to thinking that YOU'RE in charge of Judgment Day! Actually, I named this unique cocktail in honor of the spectacular 1969 GTO which got dubbed as "The Judge". This early and beautiful muscle-car was only offered in the brilliant Carousel Red (which was actually bright orange) for the lion's share of it's first season and, its 400 cubic inch Ram Air engine made it a real Dreadnought of its day. And I said all that just to say this: The Judgment Day Cocktail thus shares many characteristics with its namesake, The Judge! I think that you'll love it!
- Fill a 12-ounce crystal glass with ice cubes.
- Using a sharp paring knife, cut an orange in half, and then cut off a half moon slice for the garnish. Then, shave off 8 dime-sized "chips" of orange peel, being careful to get only the outer skin and none of the white pith.
- Take one of the chips and wipe the rim of the glass with it. Toss the rest of the chips in with the ice cubes.
- Add the vodka, Cointreau, and Amaretto. (Cointreau is clear and if you substitute Grande Marinier, which is orange, the resulting color of your cocktail will not be exactly "Carousel Red" -- but it will still taste the same!). Now, slowly pour in the 7-Up to fill the glass.
- Add the 1 drop each of yellow and red food colorings.
- Garnish the rim with the orange slice.