I love this sandwich that is a signature dish at Denney's, Moon Over My Hammy. Like most things, it is much more economical to make at home and even, dare I say, better! I originally grilled this in butter, but after reading Dawnab's recipe for Grilled Cheese Diner Style, I will only grill sandwiches in mayo. You can use whichever you like best. This is great for a Sunday morning breakfast with fresh fruit.
- Heat grill or skillet to medium.
- Spread one side only of each slice of bread with half of either mayo or butter. Place one slice in skillet spread side down.
- Layer Swiss cheese, ham, scrambled egg and American cheese, in order, on plain side of bread in skillet. Top with other slice, spread side up.
- Cook for about three minutes or until crispy and brown. Turn and cook until brown and cheese is melted.
- As Dawnab advised, if using mayonnaise, do not substitute Miracle Whip, it will not work.
- Thanks to Dawnab for her recipe and inspiration in the use of mayo!