Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is an awesome recipe from an out-of-print cookbook ( The All American Chili Cookbook ).The chef has used this recipe to get out of speeding tickets.:) It is a true Chili con carne as it has no beans and no tomato products either. It does not need them. I made one change as I cannot find Italian peppers here in Idaho.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 lbs chuck, well trimmed and cut into small cubes
- 2 onions, finely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 7 ounces minced green chilies (or 1 Italian pepper and 4 ounces of green chilies per the original)
- 12 ounces beer
- 5 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cayenne
- 8 garlic cloves
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 3 jalapeno peppers, finely diced (optional)
- In a large chili pot (heavy bottom), heat oil and sauté meat until no longer pink.
- Drain off the fat and add onions, Italian peppers and chilies.
- Cook over medium heat until vegetables are softened.
- Stir in beer (12 ounces), chili powder, cayenne, garlic, and cumin.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 3 hours or until meat is tender, stirring occasionally and adding water.
- Add salt during the last 45 minutes and adjust again before serving.
- For hotter chili, add the jalapeños.