Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I came up with this soup when both my bf and I were sick. It was the only thing we'd eat. It's very easy and quick to prepare, and very soothing too. You can use other vegetables if you dislike bean sprouts or Chinese spinach.
- 8 cups water
- 1 chicken stock cubes or 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tablespoon ginger, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup dried anchovy (ikan bilis) (optional)
- 1 cup carrot, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 2 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce, to taste
- 2 cups chinese spinach
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- cilantro, chopped
- Boil water in a pot; once boiled, add chicken stock cube, ginger and anchovies.
- Add carrot, turn down the heat and let simmer for 15 minutes, until carrots are quite tender.
- Add tomatoes and simmer another 3 minutes or so.
- Add fish sauce to taste.
- Finally, add Chinese spinach and sprouts, cook for another 1 minute.
- Stir in some chopped cilantro just before serving.