Recipe by Joyd
I created this recipe because I wanted the ease of the crockpot AND wanted to use some spinach I had in the freezer. This recipe is great because you can use frozen ingredients!! I'm really proud of my creation because it's tasty, mostly healthy and everyone loved it! You can play around with the cheese toppings. I had planned to use Swiss, but used Monterey Jack instead because it was what I had on hand. I had also planned to use 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese, but only had 1/8 on hand, so that's what I used. I served the chicken whole, topped with spinach, mushrooms and cheese with a salad on the side.
Top Review by jmoore771
Delish! I omitted most of the cheese except for the parm to make it a little healthier. Also the timing may be a bit off because on high with fresh chicken it took about 3 hours. It might just be my crock though :) Very good recipe though!
- 5 frozen chicken breast halves
- 8 ounces canned sliced mushrooms, drained
- 4 tablespoons melted butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons dried onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 10 ounces spinach, frozen and broken into pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄8 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese or 1⁄2 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 1⁄8 cup Italian breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Place frozen chicken breast halves into crock pot.
- Mix spices together and sprinkle over chicken.
- Cover chicken with onion.
- Cover with 2 tbsp of the butter.
- Break spinach into pieces and place in crock pot.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Cover with remaining butter.
- Add mushrooms, drained.
- Top with cheeses.
- Cook on high 2 hours, then turn to low for 4-5 hours.