Recipe by Sica
If you are apart of the Joy Bauer's Diet this is one of 3 different Life Soup's you should have every day with dinner if you don't have a salad. Since this site makes it so much easier to plan shopping lists I'm adding them here. It's a inexpensive diet feel free to check it out here: http://www.joybauer.com/members/foodandrecipes/recipes/viewrecipe.aspx?recipeid=10499&usermealplanid=84263771
Top Review by KateL
4/07/13 Review updated due to inclusion of celery in the ingredients. I loved this low-salt good-for-you soup, but the recipe needs correction to earn 5 stars. It would reduce confusion if the directions "remembered" that the ingredients had chosen the dry ingredients for the Creole version and omitted directions that did not apply. It would help if the ingredients were listed in the order used. This has a kick missing in Recipe #350477, but both (made with the missing celery) are quite good as a late-afternoon snack. Come-on, 2 cups of filling soup for under 100 calories? What a nice change of pace to have to search for more calories for my daily intake. Made for Spring 2013 Pick-A-Chef.
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, diced (1 cup)
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced (sliced)
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or 8 cups vegetable broth
- 3 carrots, sliced (approximately 1 cup)
- 1 zucchini, diced (2 cups)
- 1 cup fresh green beans, chopped (may substitute frozen green beans)
- 3 cups cabbage (1/2 cabbage head)
- 15 ounces tomatoes, diced, 1 can
- 1⁄2 cup celery
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stock pot coated with non-stick cooking spray, sauté the garlic, onion, celery, and mushrooms over medium heat for 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Add the stock, remaining vegetables, canned tomatoes, and bay leaves. If you have chosen one of the dry seasoning blends (Creole or Italian) add it now. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and cook an additional 2 minutes. If you have chosen the fresh Garden Herbs seasoning blend, add it now. Remove bay leaves before serving or freezing.