Recipe by earth_child
Another recipe from my mother in law...a delicious banana loaf with a yummy crumble topping (the best part!). This banana bread can be tweaked to be either more like a dessert or more of a healthy breakfast loaf. Just depends on which yummy add-ins you want to use. Also, I use part unbleached bread flour, and part whole wheat flour to make it a bit healthier but still smooth.
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup soft butter
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour (great with part whole wheat flour)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄4 cup flax seed (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup raisins (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup shredded coconut (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup carob chips (optional) or 1⁄4 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped nuts (I use pecans)
- 3⁄4 cup oats
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon flax seed
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a small bowl, beat together (with mixer if you have one): sugar, softened butter, bananas.
- In a large bowl, combine: flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda. Mix these dry ingredients together, then add banana mixture from step 2.
- Add eggs, milk, any of the optional mix-ins. Mix together well to a smooth batter.
- Pour batter into a greased loaf pan.
- For the crumble topping - combine in small bowl: chopped nuts, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, flax seeds, melted butter. Mix until crumbly.
- Spread crumble topping mixture on top of the batter in the loaf pan.
- Bake approximately 45 minutes at 350. Note: in the oven, the bread will lift and the topping will overflow a bit, so I recommend placing a cookie sheet underneath to catch the droppings.