Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A hearty soup 50 years in the making. Joyce, one of my favorite people on earth happens to be 88 years old. I am lucky to be her neighbor. Once an avid cook, she has many recipe to show for it. You can pack a lot in in 88 years! Joyce has graciously passed along many of her recipes to me. She has beautiful handwriting and took great time in perfecting her recipes. She tells me on many, "Don't you dare change a thing! That recipe took me 50 years to perfect". This is one of them.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean beef chuck roast, cubed
- 1⁄2 lb beef shank, with bone
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 48 ounces tomato juice
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 32 ounces beef stock
- 2 cups hot water
- 3 turnips, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1⁄2 green cabbage head, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons seasoning salt, 'Janes Krazy Mixed-Up Seasonings' brand
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 lb frozen mixed vegetables
- Salt and pepper meat. Shake in a bit of flour. Melt butter in large pot. Brown meat well on all sides.
- Add all remaining ingredients except frozen veggies.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer 2 hours.
- Add frozen veg. Simmer another 30-60 minute
- Remove bone and bay.