1/2 Photos of Joyce's Unbeatable Banana Bread
This recipe is so close to my heart. When I was young, I refused to eat my other Grandmother's banana bread because it wasn't like Grandma Joyce's. When I went off to college, my Grandma mailed me a loaf every couple weeks. (I even fell down my dorm stairs one time rushing down to pick up my package containing banana bread.) It has been six years or so since she passed. Now, when I miss her terribly, I bake loaf after loaf of her bread and give it away to share the joy I felt every time I received her special packages.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Grease and flour one regular loaf pan or two small loaf pans.
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 3Combine flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and shortening. Cut shortening in as for pie crust (I use a pastry blender.).
- 4In a separate bowl, beat eggs and sliced bananas until mixed well.
- 5Add banana mixture to shortening mixture and mix well.
- 6Place batter in prepared pan(s).
- 7Bake approximately 30 minutes.
- 8Tip: I usually use the toothpick test, but the toothpick should not come out completely clean. This is a very moist recipe, so look for the toothpick or knife to be mostly clean. When the bread is done, it will be a dark brown and should have a slight crack down the middle.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Joyce's Unbeatable Banana Bread
Serving Size: 1 (208 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 678.9
- Calories from Fat 257
- Total Fat 28.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 93.0 mg
- Sodium 642.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 99.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 57.3 g
- Protein 8.6 g