Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
My Aunt Joyce gave me this recipe many years ago. It is always on our holiday table. It is similiar to other brocolli casserole recipe's, yet different in the fact that the rice is separate from the cheese. DH teases me because I don't like my food all "mooshed" together. I think the flavors are enhanced when separate. Also, I am giving the amount of butter as I was originally told, it is a shocking amount, feel free to use much less, it will still be great.
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen broccoli
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 (14 ounce) can cream of chicken soup or 1 (14 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter, feel free to use less
- 2⁄3 cup instant rice
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- Melt butter in large skillet. Slowly cook onion in butter until transparent. In a small saucepan or in the microwave, cook the brocolli until done but still firm.
- To butter and onions, add soup, milk, rice and brocolli, stir well. Pour this mixture into a 9x9 greased casserole dish. Top with cheese. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for approximately 30 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbly.