Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a recipe of my friends mom Joyce. She was a wonderful person. This is the best darn beef stew that I have ever tasted and made. I always double the recipe because it goes fast. You can also throw all of it together and put in the crock. Everything except the flour and water mixture, that comes right at the end. I prefer to put it in the crock.
- 2 lbs stewing beef or 2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast, cut up
- 4 cups hot water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic or 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- shake stew pieces in flour and brown in veg oil.
- after all browned add water and rest of ingredients.
- simmer for 2 hrs or meat is tender.
- cut up bite size carrots and potatoes (I like lots).
- add carrots and potatoes to the stew.
- cook until tender.
- shake together some flour and cold water.
- pour into the stew to make gravy (I make mine quite thick).
- enjoy with some bread and a toss salad.
This was very good! I had all the ingredients on hand, plus I added a chopped red bell pepper. I was so happy to find a good crockpot beef stew recipe that didn't take 10 hours! Literally! It turned out great, except the meat we got wasn't so good- all fat. It did provide good flavor though! I will be trying this again, but with better meat! Thanks for posting!
Delicious!! My husband loved it! Very easy, next time I'm going to brown the meat without flouring it first. Ava
Aunt Dawn, Yes indeed,this beef stew was very good.I did make it in the crockpot,and i too like it thick. Thanks for a good recipe. Darlene