Prep 10 mins
Cook 48 hrs
From the MDC Kitchen To Yours
- 1 cup navy beans
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2-1 lb ham hocks or 1⁄2 lb ground smoked ham
- 2 teaspoons HP steak sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons celery salt
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 3 teaspoons chicken bouillon mix
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- Wash beans.
- In large pot boil beans with ham hocks.
- Cook until beans start to break up, approximately 1 hour.
- Remove hocks and grind or chop meat.
- Return meat to pot and add the remaining ingredients.
- Simmer 1 hour.
This soup brings back childhood memories for me because my mother always let us put ketchup in our navy bean soup. I was a bit concerned that between the celery salt, ham hock and bouillion it would be too salty, but it was perfect. Made for Spring 2013 Pick A Chef.