Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is my fiance's recipe from the days when the only kind of meat he could afford was bacon! It really only bears a passing resemblance to traditional carbonara recipes, but it's awfully good just the same. Use any kind of pasta like rotelli, tagliatelle, etc., that will catch the sauce.
- Boil water for the pasta and cook per package directions.
- Meanwhile, cut bacon into 1/2 inch or 1 inch squares and saute 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the onion and saute until bacon is crispy and onion is soft.
- Add pasta, stir.
- Add parmesan and stir continuously for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add half and half and stir continuously for about 1-2 minutes.
- Serve on warmed plates.
Yum. Used 1/2 pound of bacon, about 12 ounces of pasta and sour cream in place of the half and half. Also added some peas. Delicious.
Super easy. I added some chopped tomato and chard. Also substituted half the parm with sharp cheddar and added a splash of white wine. Yummm!
So good! Even got a positive response from our son, who normally doesn't say anything about the meals he's being served. I used whole wheat penne and red onion. I also increased the amount of cheese and half/half. :)