Recipe by Mr. Sauce
A delightful twist for you sloppy-joe lovers. Leave the brand name mix at the store and have some fun with a real homemade treat.
Top Review by SoDakCook
We really enjoyed this recipe. I was looking for something quick and really didn't feel like the usual sloppy joes. I only used 1T of cumin due to personal preference and also added about a tablespoon of tomato paste after all the ingredients were mixed and simmering. It seemed to help thicken the mixture and even out the bite of the spices a little bit. I also did not use the oil when browning the ground beef. Glad we tried it!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup onion (chopped fine)
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper (chopped fine)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (seeded and chopped)
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- 1 dash red chili pepper flakes
- 1 cup aged cheddar cheese (shredded)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large hot skillet, add cooking oil and brown off ground beef.
- Using a slotted spoon, put cooked beef onto paper towels to drain.
- In the same skillet, combine chopped green pepper, onions, and jalapeno, and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- When onions are translucent, add cooked beef back into the pan.
- Add water and stir.
- Add chili powder, cumin, paprika, mustard powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper and red chili flakes to the beef mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 10 minutes. Add more water if mixture gets dry.
- Place the bottom half of 4 burger buns on a baking sheet.
- Spoon meat mixture evenly between burger buns and top each bun with 1/4 cup of shredded cheese.
- Place baking sheet under broiler until cheese has melted and starts to brown.
- Remove and serve hot.
- Make a quick salsa side dish by combining chopped tomatoes, green pepper, cucumber, green onion, kernel corn, olive oil, lemon juice, cilantro, salt and pepper.