Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
My friend Edith claims she could eat her weight in this soup. I have not tried this yet, but plan to make it for her sometime as a surprise and have posted it for safe keeping. It looks quite easy and tasty!
- 3 1⁄4 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 lbs uncooked medium shrimp, heads removed, shells on
- 1 large tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 medium white onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed, finely diced
- 16 sprigs fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled, seed removed and diced
- 4 lime slices
- 4 lime wedges
- crackers (optional) or corn tortilla strips (optional)
- In a large saucepan, combine water and tomato sauce.
- Add salt to taste and bring to a boil.
- Add shrimp and cook 3 minutes.
- Strain shrimp from stock (saving stock).
- Place stock back into saucepan and keep warm with low heat.
- Cool shrimp in ice water.
- Peel shrimp when cool and set aside, discarding shells.
- Between 4 large bowls, divide tomato, onion, jalepeno, cilantro and avocado.
- Put shrimp back into warm broth to rehat for approximately 1 minute.
- Divide shrimp and broth among bowls.
- Float a lime slice in each bowl.
- Serve with a lime wedge along side and with crackers or tortilla strips if desired.