Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Many years ago a very popular local tea room published this recipe in our town's newpaper. It is a much loved item they have carried for many years on their menu. Pretty easy to prepare and makes a large amount. The recipe can easily be cut down. I am happy to share it with everyone.
- 6 cups water
- 3 tablespoons chicken base (I used a bit more)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 quart whipping cream
- 2 quarts half-and-half
- 4 cups milk
- 2 lbs Velveeta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup butter (I used more)
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3 lbs broccoli, chopped, cooked and drained (can use frozen)
- Boil water, chicken stock base, garlic powder and lemon pepper. This can be done in the top of a double boiler or carefully on stovetop in a saucepan. Simmer for 5 minutes. Stirring constantly, add whipping cream, half and half and milk. Add cheese and heat, stirring constantly until cheese is melted.
- In a saucepan, make a roux or thick paste by melting the butter and stirring in the flour on medium heat until smoothe. Remove from heat and add roux mixture to soup until the desired consistency is reached. Add broccoli and serve.