1/4 Photos of Josephine's Apple and Cheese Bars
1 hr 5 mins
Linda's Busy Kitchen's Note:
I run a cooking and recipes meetup group and we recently had an Iron Chef Competition. This recipe won 1st Place, so I wanted to share it with all of you, because they are REALLY YUMMY! Thanks Josephine!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 78.07 ml sugar
- 44.37 ml lemon juice
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
Cheddar Crust And Crumble
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2Line a 9" square metal cake pan with aluminum foil, leaving 1" overhang for handles. Set aside.
- 3In a bowl whisk together oats, flour, brown sugar, and salt.
- 4Stir in melted butter and oil, until mixture clumps and is crumbly.
- 5Add another tablespoon of oil or water, if necessary, to ensure no dry spots.
- 6Add cheese, tossing to mix.
- 7Save 1 1/2 cups of mixture for later, and press the rest evenly into prepared pan.
- 8Bake in the center of a 350 oven, until edges are golden, about 15 minutes. Let cool.
- 9Peel, core, and slice apples 1/2" thick.
- 10In a saucepan, bring apples, sugar, lemon juice, and cinnamon to boil, adding up to 1/4 cup water, if apples stick to pan.
- 11If apples becomes too runny, sprinkle 1 teaspoon cornstarch over apples, then mix in, and let thicken.
- 12Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes.
- 13Spread apple mixture over base.
- 14Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture.
- 15Bake until golden, about 30 minutes.
- 16Let cool in pan on rack.
- 17Cut into 3" squares.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Josephine's Apple and Cheese Bars
Serving Size: 1 (165 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 393.7
- Calories from Fat 166
- Total Fat 18.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.7 g
- Cholesterol 40.3 mg
- Sodium 223.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 29.8 g
- Protein 7.0 g