Recipe by Linda's Busy Kitchen
I run a cooking and recipes meetup group and we recently had an Iron Chef Competition. This recipe won 1st Place, so I wanted to share it with all of you, because they are REALLY YUMMY! Thanks Josephine!
- 4 apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Cheddar Crust And Crumble
- 1 1⁄2 cups rolled oats, large flake
- 1 cup flour
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line a 9" square metal cake pan with aluminum foil, leaving 1" overhang for handles. Set aside.
- In a bowl whisk together oats, flour, brown sugar, and salt.
- Stir in melted butter and oil, until mixture clumps and is crumbly.
- Add another tablespoon of oil or water, if necessary, to ensure no dry spots.
- Add cheese, tossing to mix.
- Save 1 1/2 cups of mixture for later, and press the rest evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake in the center of a 350 oven, until edges are golden, about 15 minutes. Let cool.
- Peel, core, and slice apples 1/2" thick.
- In a saucepan, bring apples, sugar, lemon juice, and cinnamon to boil, adding up to 1/4 cup water, if apples stick to pan.
- If apples becomes too runny, sprinkle 1 teaspoon cornstarch over apples, then mix in, and let thicken.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Spread apple mixture over base.
- Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture.
- Bake until golden, about 30 minutes.
- Let cool in pan on rack.
- Cut into 3" squares.