Recipe by Kumquat the Cat's friend
This is a re-creation of a salad I like to order for Saturday brunch before a 2:00 pm performance at Lincoln Center in NYC. Josephina's is a cafe on the other side of Broadway, one of many restaurants in the area frequented by Lincoln Center patrons.
Top Review by mickie49
This was last night's supper, along with some grilled veal chops and cheese-garlic bread sticks! Delightful! Wasn't sure about where the avocado went, but from the picture with the recipe decided it went in the salad not in the dressing. Did 2 things different--used fresh mozzarella in- stead of Feta(sorry but neither of us like Feta) and could not find any pumkin seeds, so I used roasted sunflower seeds instead. We both loved the dressing, we are big fans of Thyme. I think this could find it's way into our regular menu selection quite often.
- 3 ounces romaine lettuce (1 bag)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes or 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 1 small avocado, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme, minced
- 1 large lemon, juice and zest of
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup garlic-flavored croutons (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop 2/3 of romaine lettuce. Toss with tomatoes, cucumber, carrot, garbanzo beans, feta cheese, pumpkin seeds and avocado.
- Blend or whisk together lemon juice and zest, olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper. Pour over salad and toss to coat.
- Arrange remaining lettuce leaves on a large plate or bowl. Arrange tossed salad on top of lettuce and add croutons to serve.