Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a re-creation of a salad I like to order for Saturday brunch before a 2:00 pm performance at Lincoln Center in NYC. Josephina's is a cafe on the other side of Broadway, one of many restaurants in the area frequented by Lincoln Center patrons.
- 3 ounces romaine lettuce (1 bag)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes or 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 1 small avocado, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme, minced
- 1 large lemon, juice and zest of
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup garlic-flavored croutons (optional)
- Chop 2/3 of romaine lettuce. Toss with tomatoes, cucumber, carrot, garbanzo beans, feta cheese, pumpkin seeds and avocado.
- Blend or whisk together lemon juice and zest, olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper. Pour over salad and toss to coat.
- Arrange remaining lettuce leaves on a large plate or bowl. Arrange tossed salad on top of lettuce and add croutons to serve.
This was last night's supper, along with some grilled veal chops and cheese-garlic bread sticks! Delightful! Wasn't sure about where the avocado went, but from the picture with the recipe decided it went in the salad not in the dressing. Did 2 things different--used fresh mozzarella in- stead of Feta(sorry but neither of us like Feta) and could not find any pumkin seeds, so I used roasted sunflower seeds instead. We both loved the dressing, we are big fans of Thyme. I think this could find it's way into our regular menu selection quite often.