Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is from the December 2009 edition of Chatelaine magazine.It is a very versatile recipe as you can change the ingredients to your liking. It says to add the flax seed at the end but I put it in before I bake it,either way is fine.I omitted the salt and added vanilla extract along with the almond extract.I usually half this recipe and make 4 cups instead of 8.I use a combination of sunflower seeds,almonds and walnuts.
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 4.92 ml ground ginger
- 2.46 ml nutmeg
- 709.77 ml oats (instant is fine)
- 236.59 ml oat bran or 236.59 ml wheat germ
- 236.59 ml sliced almonds or 236.59 ml pumpkin seeds or 236.59 ml sunflower seeds or 236.59 ml walnuts
- 236.59 ml coconut
- 3.69 ml salt
- 158.51 ml maple syrup or 158.51 ml honey
- 78.07 ml vegetable oil (canola)
- 9.85 ml almond extract
- 236.59 ml dried cranberries or 236.59 ml raisins
- 59.14 ml flax seed
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- In a small bowl,stir cinnamon with ginger and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl,mix oats with oat bran,nuts,seeds,coconut and salt.
- In a small saucepan over low heat,stir syrup with oil until warm about 2 or 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in almond extract(& vanilla if using) and spice mix.
- Pour over oat mixture.
- Stir to coat.
- Turn onto baking sheet,spreading evenly as you can.
- Bake until golden brown for 30 minutes,stirring every 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and stir in cranberries.
- Store in airtight container for up to 2 weeks.( I store mine in the freezer).
- Sprinkle with flaxseed before serving.
This recipe gave me some great tasting granola, & although I halved it, another time I'd want to make the whole batch &, as you indicated, freeze some for later use! I did include both raisins & cranberries, but then I'm a big fan of both! Also used honey instead of the syrup, & did a combo of seeds & nuts! Worked well for me ~ Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in New Kids on the Block tag]