This is from the December 2009 edition of Chatelaine magazine.It is a very versatile recipe as you can change the ingredients to your liking. It says to add the flax seed at the end but I put it in before I bake it,either way is fine.I omitted the salt and added vanilla extract along with the almond extract.I usually half this recipe and make 4 cups instead of 8.I use a combination of sunflower seeds,almonds and walnuts.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 cups oats (instant is fine)
- 1 cup oat bran or 1 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup sliced almonds or 1 cup pumpkin seeds or 1 cup sunflower seeds or 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup coconut
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup maple syrup or 2/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil (canola)
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 cup dried cranberries or 1 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup flax seed
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- 3In a small bowl,stir cinnamon with ginger and nutmeg.
- 4In a large bowl,mix oats with oat bran,nuts,seeds,coconut and salt.
- 5In a small saucepan over low heat,stir syrup with oil until warm about 2 or 3 minutes.
- 6Remove from heat.
- 7Stir in almond extract(& vanilla if using) and spice mix.
- 8Pour over oat mixture.
- 9Stir to coat.
- 10Turn onto baking sheet,spreading evenly as you can.
- 11Bake until golden brown for 30 minutes,stirring every 10 minutes.
- 12Remove from oven and stir in cranberries.
- 14Store in airtight container for up to 2 weeks.( I store mine in the freezer).
- 15Sprinkle with flaxseed before serving.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Josee Di Stasio's Christmas Granola
Serving Size: 1 (1182 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 582.2
- Calories from Fat 260
- Total Fat 28.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 228.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.2 g
- Sugars 18.2 g
- Protein 16.1 g