Recipe by MaryMeow
This recipe is from The Garlic Lovers' Cookbook. A lady named Jo Stallard won first place at the Gilroy Garlic Festival back in 1980 with this recipe. I am listing the recipe as it appears in the cookbook. I have seen this recipe around the 'net, however, one key ingredient is being left out: Paprika. I think it makes a big difference in the flavor. I make it exactly as written, with the following substitutions: I use a can of Northern beans instead of garbanzo, I use red bell pepper instead of green, and I use fat free half and half instead of whipping cream. It is the most delicious soup I have ever tasted! I make it at least once a week. Great way to get your family to eat their veggies!
Top Review by RZZ
This is a delicious soup everyone loves. Like to serve it with crispy Ciabatta bread for dunking. Just took a picture of it to post here. I saw the lady make the soup when she was a guest on the Hour Magazine tv show that Gary Collins hosted. I mailed away for the recipe card, and still have it. She used zucchini for the squash. I substitute a 14 oz. can of fire roasted tomatoes for the fresh tomatoes. RZZ
- 2 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, undrained
- 4 -5 summer squash, sliced
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 green pepper, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry white wine
- 4 -5 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded romano cheese
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream or 1 1⁄4 cups whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter the inside of a 3 quart baking dish.
- Combine all ingredients, except cheeses and cream in dish.
- At this point, it will look like a huge veggie casserole.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour at 375 degrees.
- Add cheeses and cream and stir.
- Lower oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- Return to oven and bake 10 to 15 minutes longer, until cheese is melted.
- Do not allow to Boil.
- I usually serve this with garlic bread.
- If you plan to freeze this, do not add the cheese and cream. Save that step after you have reheated the frozen soup.