1/1 Photo of Jo's Baked Garlic Soup
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This recipe is from The Garlic Lovers' Cookbook. A lady named Jo Stallard won first place at the Gilroy Garlic Festival back in 1980 with this recipe. I am listing the recipe as it appears in the cookbook. I have seen this recipe around the 'net, however, one key ingredient is being left out: Paprika. I think it makes a big difference in the flavor. I make it exactly as written, with the following substitutions: I use a can of Northern beans instead of garbanzo, I use red bell pepper instead of green, and I use fat free half and half instead of whipping cream. It is the most delicious soup I have ever tasted! I make it at least once a week. Great way to get your family to eat their veggies!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, undrained
- 4 -5 summer squash, sliced
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 4 -5 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/4 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded romano cheese
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream or 1 1/4 cups whipping cream
- 1Butter the inside of a 3 quart baking dish.
- 2Combine all ingredients, except cheeses and cream in dish.
- 3At this point, it will look like a huge veggie casserole.
- 4Cover and bake for 1 hour at 375 degrees.
- 5Add cheeses and cream and stir.
- 6Lower oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- 7Return to oven and bake 10 to 15 minutes longer, until cheese is melted.
- 8Do not allow to Boil.
- 9I usually serve this with garlic bread.
- 10If you plan to freeze this, do not add the cheese and cream. Save that step after you have reheated the frozen soup.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jo's Baked Garlic Soup
Serving Size: 1 (354 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 596.5
- Calories from Fat 332
- Total Fat 36.9 g
- Saturated Fat 22.5 g
- Cholesterol 128.1 mg
- Sodium 1596.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 25.1 g