Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I found this in the newspaper. variations: For Jook with vegetables, omit bacon in second step. Soak 4 or 5 dried Shiitake mashrooms in hot water until softened, remove stems and chop. Add them to mix, with ginger and two carrots, peeled and finely diced, and a pinch od salt.When almost jook is done, stir in 1 cup fresh or frozen peas, and cook about 10 minutes.
- 1 cup short-grain rice
- 2 cups chicken stock, preferably home made or 2 cups water
- 1 piece ginger, about 7 cm,peeled and chopped
- 125 g thick slab bacon (optional)
- soy sauce or salt
- 1⁄4 cup crispy cooked bacon, finaly chopped (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup spring onion, finaly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup roasted peanuts (optional)
- sesame oil, for drizzling (optional)
- Wash rice put in a stock pot with chicken stock or wather.
- Bring to the boil over high heat and add 4 cups water.
- Bring back to the boil, then turn heat to low.
- Partly cover pot, simmer for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally and adding water as neccessary (Probably 2 cups more).
- Add ginger and bacon, if using, and simmer for about an hour.
- Jook should have a porridge-like cosistency.
- If it becames very thick, add water.
- When done, it will be soupy and creamy.
- Remove the bacon slab, and serve jook seasoned with salt or soy sauce, then garnished with minced bacon, spring onions and peanuts.
- Drizzle with sesame oil, if desired.
At first this was not clear there were 8 cups liquid. It takes 8-10 cups water/brother to 1 cups of rice. I cooked it overnight in a crock pot. A little stuck to the sides by morning. When I got back from SE Asia I craved this all the time. There would be an array of veggies, sauces and protiens to add to it. I added oyster sauce to the green onions, and bacon on top.
I have made this using 2 cubes of Maggi Vegetable stock with onion instead of chicken broth. Also, I omit the bacon as I am a vegetarian. I use all the veggies you have mentioned in the preamble to this recipe. I cook this as a rice than as a soup dish. Its tasty and good.