Prep 24 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This is next to Albaloo-Polow my favourite Iranian dish. It is very easy to make. Nush-e Jun!
- 1 kg chicken
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions (grated)
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron
- Prepare marinade: mix olive oil, grated onions, saffron, salt, black pepper and lime juice. Wash and cut chicken into small pieces, then remove the skin. Marinate overnight (or at least for several hours) in refrigerator. The container should be covered.
- Thread chicken on long, thin metal skewers. Thread leg and thigh pieces, wings and breast pieces separately, as breast requires slightly less cooking. Also thread whole tomatoes separately on another skewer. Brush with marinade. Barbeque for about 5-10 minutes on each side, turning frequently.
- Joojeh Kabab can also be prepared in the oven and without using a skewer. Prepare chicken as before, pre-heat the oven to about 200 C, put the marinated chicken in the oven and again stir frequently.
- Cut the Tomatoes in halves and roast gently in a pan.
- Serve hot with plain rice (Polow or Chelow) or on middle-eastern bread.