Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is from my sister. Our family requests them every holiday season, and it wouldn't be Christmas without them! They are a great addition to your cookie trays and cookie tins to give as gifts to the neighbors, co-workers, friends and family. I hope you will try them, as they truly are fantastic! Word of warning::: These go fast, so make plenty!!! To avoid burning my hands from the hot mixture, I pick up the mixture with a piece of saran wrap, then squeeze it together with my hands and form the log, then roll the log in the coconut. Works great!
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups dates, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 (7 ounce) bag sweetened flaked coconut
- Put butter, sugar, dates, and eggs in a heavy bottomed pan. Bring to boil over medium heat, and stir. When it starts to boil, stir constantly (about 10 minutes) until the liquid starts pulling away from the sides of the pan while you are stirring it, then remove from heat.
- Add vanilla, walnuts and Rice Krispies, and mix in well.
- Butter your hands and put enough mixture in the palm of your hand (about 2 T.). Roll into logs with your hands.The logs should be about 3" long by 1/2" wide. (The mixture will be hot, so be careful and work quickly).
- Roll each log in flaked coconut and place on waxed paper until completely cool. Store in a plastic container with cover.
These were delicious! I made them into balls, instead of logs. Sorry just had visions of my brother calling them christmas "logs" with a snicker! The taste was amazing!
These were amazing for my Christmas cookie bags and trays! I got such rave reviews on these, I am permanently adding them to my favorites!
Easter was extra special this year with this addition to the dessert table. Everyone grabbed some as soon as they walked through the door, so by the time I was ready to leave, I got to bring home and empty plate :) They were much enjoyed!