Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
Makes a beautiful presentation garnished with orange segments. The original recipe called for 1/4 cup of caraway seeds, which sounded like a LOT for this sauce. Please feel free to add more caraway seeds, if desired. From the Michigan Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 2 lbs ducklings
- salt and pepper
- 1 orange, juice of (reserve 1/4 of the rind)
- 2⁄3 cup carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, peeled and sliced
- 3⁄4 cup currant jelly
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed, more to taste
- 2 slices bread, toasted (use a good quality bread)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Season duckling and roast 40 minutes.
- Cut orange rind in thin strips and cook in boiling water for a few minutes, until tender.
- Place carrots and onions in a saucepan, add fat from duckling and fry vegetables quickly.
- Remove from pan.
- Add orange juice, jelly and caraway seeds to remaining fat; blend thoroughly.
- Place duckling on toast surrounded with carrots, onions and orange rind.
- Serve sauce in a separate dish.