Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This recipe is quick and easy to make..The taste is simply amazing.Low salt chicken broth or low salt beef broth ,caramelized onions,with toasted pieces of multi-grain bread, topped with melted cheese.This is a winner and everyone will want the recipe for it.I know its a big hit around here.
- 3 tablespoons becel margarine
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 large onions (peeled and sliced thin, save a handful for later)
- 1⁄8 cup water
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or 8 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 slices multi-grain bread (toasted) or 6 slices French bread (toasted)
- 2 cups swiss cheese, Gruyere (shredded) or 2 cups cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Caramelize the onions by putting the onions in the oil and margarine in a large Dutch oven or soup pot with the water and pepper. Cover with a tight lid. Let the onions soften and sweat over medium heat about 10 minutes.
- When the water has evaporated, remove the lid, turn heat to low and slowly caramelize the onions, stirring frequently for about one hour. Onions should be brown in color when ready and reduced in quantity to almost one half.
- At this time, add the broth and thyme. Also add a small bit of raw onion if desired for body and appearance. Boil and bit longer to soften these.
- Season again with pepper to taste.
- Preheat the oven broiler. Ladle the soup into oven proof soup bowls. Fit a slice of the toasted bread on top. Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Place bowls on cookie sheet.
- Broil till cheese melts and turns golden.
- ---------ENJOY THIS GREAT SOUP----------------.