Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This was Jonathan Waxman's house appetizer when he opened Jams Restaurant in New York.
- 2 roasted red bell peppers
- 1⁄2 cup fresh corn kernels or 1⁄2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 8 sprigs cilantro, leaves only
- Chop 1 bell pepper into small dice.
- Set aside.
- Cut remaining bell pepper in half.
- Cut 1 half into very thin strips.
- Mince other half almost to consistency of puree, and set aside.
- Saute corn, diced bell pepper, bell pepper strips and shallot in 1 tablespoon olive oil and butter 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir in whipping cream.
- Simmer over medium-low heat 15 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder and 1 teaspoon salt into bowl.
- Stir in milk and egg yolks.
- Beat egg whites until they form soft peaks, then fold into egg yolk mixture.
- Fold in reserved minced peppers.
- Lightly brush skillet with olive oil and heat over medium heat until drop of water sizzles.
- Spoon or pour 3-inch latkes into skillet and cook over medium heat, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- To serve, place warm pepper-and-corn sauce on each plate and top with 2 latkes.
- Garnish with chives and cilantro.
I cannot begin to say how much I loved these. Wonderful flavor and texture and look absolutely beautiful. I have GOT to get a digital camera! Can't wait for a reason to make these again. Thanks for posting, Mirj.