Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
When you do not have enough eggs to go round, you could always make these nice little pancakes called "jolly boys", originally invented to fill the breakfast plates of hungry young English country families when the backyard hens had stopped laying.
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 egg
- 5 fluid ounces milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter or 1 teaspoon lard
- Make a batter with the flour, egg and milk and a pinch of salt.
- It should be the consistency of heavy cream and run quickly off the spoon.
- After frying the bacon in butter or lard, remove it to a plate to keep hot.
- Increase the heat under the frying pan and put in a tablespoon of batter.
- This will run into an oval shape and rise up in the middle.
- Baste it with hot fat as you would a fried egg and dish up at once with the bacon.