Prep 1 hr 19 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe originates in Mali.
Make and share this Jollof Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb lean beef or 1 lb chicken, cut into cubes
- salt and white pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 3⁄4 pints stock or 1 3⁄4 pints water
- 3 large onions
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 fresh red chilies, finely chopped
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled and mashed
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 1 cup green beans
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, cubed
- 1 lb long-grain rice
- fresh parsley (to taste) or fresh coriander, chopped (to taste)
- 1 hard-boiled egg, chopped, for garnish
- Season meat cubes with salt and pepper; cover and let sit 1-2 hours.
- Heat oil in fry-pan and fry meat until brown. Remove from oil and add to stock in large saucepan. Simmer until meat begins to softened; remove from heat.
- Drain excess oil from fry-pan, leaving enough oil to fry onions, garlic and chilies until golden. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, half the vegetables and 1 cup stock from meat mixture; stir and simmer gently.
- Add in uncooked rice, cover and simmer slowly for about 15 minutes. Arrange remaining vegetables on top of rice and simmer until rice absorbs all the stock. Add water if necessary. Garnish with egg and parsley.