Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
A Nigerian recipe From Simbo Fowora posted for ZWT 4.
- 1 lb parboiled rice
- 1 (400 g) can tomato puree
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 small red bell peppers or 3 large red bell peppers, seeded and sliced
- 1 bunch thyme, leaves picked
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 8 chicken bouillon cubes (recommended ( Maggi or Goya)
- With blender, blend tomatoes, onions, red pepper, and garlic until smooth. Add bouillon cubes, thyme and white pepper.
- Add olive oil to the blended paste, and set the mixture aside. Add 4 cups of water into a pot.
- Wash the rice in hot water until the water is clear. Drain through a fine sieve.
- Pour the rice and blended mixture into the pot of water and stir with wooden spoon. Set the stove to medium heat and place pot on stove, then let it cook for 45 minutes while stirring every 15 minutes.
Made this for lunch today, followed the recipe but added some red chillis at stage 1, then added some diced leftover chicken at stage 4. This was a great rice dish, the additon of chili just gave it a spicy kick, the chicken turned it from a side dish to a lunch time meal!
I made this for ZWT4 on one of the many nights that I was having wicked puter problems and wasn't able to post it. I just remembered that I needed to review it (bad me!). I used regular rice and adjusted the water accordingly and got a really great tasting, not hard to make side dish. I think I deleted the pix in another "clean out the files" session but believe me this is sure worth making.