1/5 Photos of Jollof Chicken and Rice
This originated in French colonial Africa. I found this in a cookbook under NIGERIA. It's very similar to jambalaya.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs chicken pieces
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 16 ounces canned tomatoes, cut up
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1In a large skillet brown chicken on both sides in hot oil about 15 minutes; remove from skillet. Set aside chicken, reserving drippings.
- 2Add the onion to drippings; cook till tender but not brown. Drain off fat.
- 3Return chicken to skillet.
- 4Combine undrained tomatoes, broth, and seasonings. Pour over chicken. DO NOT STIR.
- 5Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- 6Cover; simmer for 30 minutes.
- 7Skim off fat.
- 8Add rice, making sure all the rice is covered with liquid.
- 9Cover; simmer for 30 minutes more or until rice is tender.
- 10Remove bay leaf. Sprinkle with parsley.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jollof Chicken and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (319 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 479.2
- Calories from Fat 233
- Total Fat 25.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 103.5 mg
- Sodium 556.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 29.7 g