Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
My friend Jolene comes from a long and distinguished line of cooks in Odessa, Texas. This recipe is one from her family's traditions. My only change was to change the rice from long grain to white basmati. When Jolene tasted it my way she changed her recipe to basmati too.
- 2 slices bacon, cut into 1/4 inch bits
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 pasilla chili, seeded, devained, chopped
- 1 cup white basmati rice, uncooked, washed and drained
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans beef consomme
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Heat a large frying pan, cast iron works best, over med-high heat.
- Fry the bacon till crisp. remove, drain on paper towel.
- Saute (stir fry) onions and chilies in the drippings till onions are lightly browned.
- Add last four ingredients, mix well.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, simmer 20 minutes. NO PEEKING !( If you lift the lid, heat escapes and that throws the timing all off.).
- Remove from heat, let it rest, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork.
- Serve topped with the crisp bacon.